Midnight Route, Jalan Pudu, 01.30am, Sat.11th September, 2010.

About Me

Kuala Lumpur, Federal Territory, Malaysia
The truth, the people, and the adventures of a Reach Out volunteer as he struggles through the obstacles of NGO work with the urban and rural poor of Malaysia. An adventurer who travels a fair bit but who is determined to settle down to a more stable existence. Is easy to keep as a pet as long as he is given regular bars of chocolate and curry puff's. Dislikes deceit and those with ego's, but as a Scotsman, enjoys wearing the Kilt and shocking people with the sight of his legs.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Saturdays, Sundays, Everydays!

I love the buzz of the packing on Saturdays for the Street Food Distribution.
I love the smell of the fresh nasi lemak or mee goreng or whatever Datin Sury and Enn have arranged for the runs.
I love to see the kids, (both the young ones and the young at heart ones), working away.
I love the noise, the chatter, the energy.
I love to see how all those from all backgrounds work together in friendship and mutual respect.
But most of all I love to see the compassion as everyone works away filling the distribution bags with the food.

But theres more than just that.

I love to see the teams meeting up at the various locations for food distribution.
I love to see how the teams overlap and support each other.
I love to share a chat and some teh before the routes go out on their various rounds.
But most of all I love to see the compassion as everyone works together distributing the bags of food to all without favour.

But theres more that just that.

I love to see the children as they arrive for their schooling under the Reach/GIS Education Programme.
I love to see them learn and grow and experience something that was denied to them by circumstance.
I love to see them smile and leave happy, looking forward to returning again.
But most of all I love to see the compassion as all involved work together arranging, teaching, and assisting these kids.

But theres more than just that.

I love to spend time with our street friends finding out who they are.
I love the freedom of being able to do our work as we believe it should be done.
I love to see the photos of our work taken by our volunteers and read their experiences on Facebook, web and blogs.
I love the fact that many people care and trust us with their sponsorship.
I love working with other likeminded organisations and assisting them set up similar programmes.
I love how the energy transfers from Reach to our clients and then returns to us in Reach in so many ways, most of which we never realise.

But most of all I love the bond between all of us in Reach and between us and those we serve.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly how I feel Pete... Beautiful piece of writing. :)

    ReplyDelete